Saturday, June 13, 2009

Notes from the margin--well, another margin

Oh, fractal! (that's my expletive of choice)
and it was all going so well…But up pop
my old nemeses Mary Belenky, et al. UGH! Rather than changing the societies that raise most girls to believe that competition is not appropriate, not feminine,

Belenky and her think tank
just buy into and replicate the
masculine/feminine
aggressive/passive
rational/emotional
detached/personal
abstract/concrete
(read exaltedimmaculateMIND=male and basefallibleBODY=female). As
Martin Luther espoused. In the 1500s. Yeah.

Eat your heart out, Chastity Bono. I don’t even have to have a sex change to be a male.
I do that by employing logic and competitiveness.

That ought to be too hard for me. Society told me it wasn’t proper, and they all--Belenkytank--just assumed that I bought into society's demands.

Mine is a ‘deviant’ learning style.

Kumashiro: “that [pedagogy] where teacher/learning is rational, abstract, and detached from personal experience” is one of the “masculinist pedagogies that tend to benefit boys and marginalize girls” (29).

Bullshit. Cowshit. UndifferentiatedorsexuallyandgenderedlyexperimentalbovineSHIT.

Differentiate the teaching because all people are different; don’t just group us by vulvas and penises.
Don’t teach in ways that promote detachment and also in ways that promote personal experience just because society tells us one is right for one gender, the other is right for any Other gender; differentiate because no two people are identical; because people’s learning styles are myriad.
Don’t teach differently to me because I happen to be a so-called female. Teach in different ways to everybody because we’re all human and worth some introspection and effort on your part.

Ahh, redemption: “we should deconstruct the Self/Other binary” (45).

Yes. Because before the ‘norm’ can define itself as the ‘norm,’ it has to identify and define the ‘Other’ as other.

“Without the over determined discourse that creates third world, there would be no (singular and privileged) first world” (Mohanty 215).

That’s the stuff.

--“‘how the production of deviancy is intimately tied to the very possibility of normalcy’” (qtd in Kumashiro 36).
-- “that they (often unknowingly) are complicit with and even contribute to these forms of oppression when they participate in the privileging of certain identities” (37).
-- “changing oppression requires disruptive knowledge […] Students need to learn what is being learned can never tell the whole story” (34).
-- “always ask what has not been said” (34).

Yes, fantastic…

6 comments:

  1. I like your passion. I sometimes feel like I'm afraid to say what I think, you don't have that, I admire that. So will you be using these us vs. them strategies in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rock on, Katie. I experimentalwriting.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don’t teach differently to me because I happen to be a so-called female. Teach in different ways to everybody because we’re all human and worth some introspection and effort on your part."

    You're awesome.

    Just a question, because I'm curious. Have you ever seen the Vagina Monologues? I am wondering what you think about the show...because its goal (at least in part) seems to be the "taking back" of certain terms and ideas as feminine, or at least using them as tools of empowerment for women. Do you think this reinforces the masculine/feminine binary? Or helps to deconstruct it? I wrestle a lot between the ideas of empowerment/acknowledgment/recognition/celebration of certain differences vs. the deconstruction of "labels." What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. But what do you REALLY think?

    I think that a lot of teachers don't worry about teaching in a way that is suitable for the variety of learning styles. I think teachers tend to "teach" (lecture) what they "teach" as they "teach" it and those who don't get it are not applying themselves. I'd sure as hell rather have a teacher who attempted to reach the "he/she" dichotomy (which would, of course, reach a variety of readers simply by offering more that that teacher's (one, only) way of teaching. Even if they penis/vagina was the misled trigger to get them to do so.

    I felt that VM was a great way of reclaiming the words used as weapons against us--but it's only completely successful if men know we're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Side note: I produced the VM the first 3 years it came to UWM back in 2001. :) Hurray Angry Vags!

    ReplyDelete